Sunday, February 18, 2007

Dream Girls: The Ritz Theatre Spring 2003



















Dreamgirls is a Broadway musical, which opened on December 20, 1981 at the Imperial Theatre on Broadway. The musical ran for four years and 1,522 performances, and won six 1982 Tony Awards. Allegedly based upon the history of Motown act The Supremes,[1] Dreamgirls follows the story of a young female singing trio from Chicago, Illinois called "The Dreams", who become music superstars. It features music by Henry Krieger and lyrics and book by Tom Eyen, and was directed by Michael Bennett, produced by Bennett, Bob Avian, Geffen Records, and The Shubert Organization, and choreographed by Bennett and Michael Peters. The original Broadway production, which won six Tony Awards, starred Jennifer Holliday, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Loretta Devine, Ben Harney, Cleavant Derricks, Obba Babatunde, and Vondie Curtis-Hall.
The musical was adapted into a motion picture by DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures, and opened on December 15, 2006 (limited) and December 25, 2006 (wide). The feature film version of Dreamgirls stars Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles, Anika Noni Rose, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Keith Robinson, and Danny Glover.
So when the Ritz decided to do this show it was extremly ambitious. I was going on tour so I was going to miss the initial auditions. So I emailed the director Art McKenzie and arranged a private audition. He called me a couple of weeks later and offered me the role of Little Albert. I also played the night club owner, I was on of the Five Tuxedos and a few more roles. I wanted to play CC White but because I was on tour I couldn't read for the role at the call backs. This was a great show and broke box office records at the Ritz Theatre!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you seen the movie, Dreamgirls? Did you like it?

Jemilah said...

I think he did, Lanya. Although, I hope you both realize that Jennifer Hudson getting an Oscar was pure charity!