Saturday, June 16, 2007

Are Actors of Color in Film Fairly Represented?


Today I recieved an email on my myspace page from an actress I did two shows with. She was upset that Angelina Jolie was cast in the movie "A Mighty Heart" where she plays the part of Mariane Pearl. The movie is about her account of the terrifying and unforgettable story of her husband, Wall Street Journal reporter Danny Pearl's life and death. Angelina Jolie wears "brown face" in the movie because Mariane Pearl is of color. The actress was upset about an actress of color being overlooked for the role. Angelina Jolie got the role because of her status as a superstar and that is it. Shes not a bad actress either. Her puting on "brown face" is purely theatrical and shouldn't be equated with the "black face minstrel shows". I don't think that is what she was trying to say but rather she was bothered by the fact that an actress of color didn't get the part. I believe very strongly that producers can cast a film and/or theatre production anyway they want to. Why do we as actors of color feel we are owed an equal oppurtunity to be represented in film, television and theatre? We aren't owed anything! They have a right to cast a show or film anyway they want to. They have a right to cater to their subscribers and ratings. It is after all a business and not little league where everybody "gets a turn". Why don't we produce our own projects? Why not produce our own film and theatre projects that shed a more accurate light on how we percieve ourselves? Actors of color are at a steep disavantage when it comes to getting cast, period. Not to mention getting offered meaningful roles! That is a fact that isn't going away. So why not get off our back sides and take an entrapunureal approach to our acting careers? We need to stop all the complaining and whining. After a while it just sounds like noise! It's kind of like the tree that falls in the forrest, does it make a sound? Of course it does but nobody cares! What is the point of partaking in a oppresion derby but not doing anything to get out of it? That is why I am so focused on starting my own theatre company. I am tired of being offered roles of slaves and servants and thugs. I'm puting my money where my mouth is. I am close to raising $50,000 to start my theatre company and producing shows and playing roles that I want to play that are meaningful! So when my tree falls in the forest it will make a big impact and people will care!

6 comments:

Omorro and the Daydream Orchestra said...

Big Mike, I agree with you 100%, I taught you well...Now where does songs at, huh? where does songs at? If you have to write a new one, thats cool too, even though you are extremely busy...

Anonymous said...

I am still looking 4 them. I just saw them the other day. I will look again tonight

Jemilah said...

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

That is a good attitude to have, I wish more people would stop feeling sorry for themselves and look for an excuse for every little thing that doesn't go their way and be more of a go-getter. Well said brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jemilah said...

Mike, where is that new post you've been threatening to write? And when is your vacation again?

Jeyo said...

WOW MIke....wonderfully said!
And..I could not agree more...
Sometimes you really have to put your money where your mouth is!!

I love your blog...very inspirational!!!